Return Springs on a Baldwin 243

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Thu, 28 Dec 2000 11:28:22 -0500

>List,
>
>I have a piano teacher with a legitimate complaint about repetition
>on a 20 year-old Baldwin Studio Upright 243. The jack won't make it
>back under the butt until the key returns, and sometimes not even
>them. The butt and catcher leathers are also a synthetic which i
>would describe as 220 grit.

The hardened synthetic buckskin should certainly be replaced. There
are step by step procedures in the PTJournal and on the web.
How's the jack pinning? Wippen and hammer flange pinning? Is the jack
spring doing its job?
Last but not least, how's the key weigh-off? Newton has posted
ideal/acceptable gram specs for uprights, which I don't remember off
the top of my head.
A small key lead properly placed might be just what's needed, if the
other specs are within normal tolerances.

Patrick Draine