When to do it

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Mon, 25 Dec 2000 11:49:49 -0500

>If the keybed had sagged, then the middle action bracket would have been
>loose, but it wasn't it. It wasn't the soft peddle rod moving the hammer rail
>up, because the rod was disconnected.
>
>I adjusted lost motion, and the piano played fine. But as Clyde asked, why
>did this happen?
>
>Wim

While the keybed may have been stable, the balance rail could
certainly be flexing a considerable amount. BTW, I too notice lots of
lost motion movement in  Yamaha uprights. I was a bit suprised to see
one of our Australian friends (Ron OVers?) citing the U1 as being
especially stable in that regard. Perhaps the balance rail
configuration is slightly different/more stable for the Aussie
market??

Happy Holidays to everyone!

Patrick Draine