SAMA Piano Co.

Kevin E. Ramsey RPT ramsey@extremezone.com
Mon, 25 Dec 2000 02:24:57 -0800

Well, yeah,,,,,,,,,, This may be a conflict of interest, but I don't really
care because I have yet to sacrifice my principles for mere lucre, and don't
really want to start,,,,,,ever.
    For those of you that don't really know me, I won't go into all the
details, but I moved here (Arizona) from California not toooooooo long ago.
My Mother is in an assisted living facility here and I wanted to be close.
There is only one dealership of any worth in the Phoenix area. They have the
accounts for Steinway, Yamaha, Kawai, Baldwin, and Samick. All of 'em. Oh,
and Charles Walter too. Kinda got a corner on the market. I'm one of the
head techs with the company, ( I know, big deal)
    Anyway, they started sending some of their "clunkers" to SAMA for
rebuilds. I saw one of the notices on the list for SAMA, which advertised
high quality work with "minimal prep". And posted a note to the list saying
that the ones I've seen need anything BUT minimal prep.
    To this day, I haven't seen one that doesn't require a lot of prep after
you get it back, but then, to be honest, I never see them before they go
away, so I don't know what the beginning product was like.
    I do know, that if I was going to replace the hammer-shank-flange
assembly, that at least the jacks would be aligned to the knuckles. I do
know that if I were going to do the work, I would set samples to see if the
parts I used would work. I do know that if I were going to replace damper
felt, that when I got done the damper timing would be somewhere in the
ballpark, and that the dampers would actually work.
    But hey, if the price is right, they CAN be made to work,,,,,,, as long
as your standards aren't such that you think it's going to sound like a
Steinway D when you get done.
    I don't know what they're paying for the work, and it may be so little
that it really is viable, but I wouldn't send a really quality piano down
there thinking that you're going to get a really quality product on the
cheap. Remember, you get just what you pay for.
    If I get in trouble for telling the truth, tough s**t.