what pianos are good?

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Sun, 24 Dec 2000 16:15:43 -0800

Martin,

The larger grands tend to be the easiest to tune. I remember that a
certain 7'5" Kawai (GS-70) was a particularly easy one on which to set a
temperament and many of the new, computer-scaled grands are, too.

Some pianos produce more clearly-defined beats than others. The name on
the fallboard doesn't always tell you what to expect in this regard.

Plate bushings are a help because they eliminate some of the flag
poling. Duplex noise can interfere with distinguishing the beats so
pianos with muted duplex can be easier to tune. Rock-hard hammers can
make for a piano that seems hard to get in tune whereas a
mellow-sounding piano will have a more forgiving nature.

Sufficient tuning pin tightness and friction at the bearing points - not
too much or too little of either - is essential for tunability, along
with consistency of both from pin to pin. Almost any late model Yamaha
or Kawai upright or grand would be a good example of this.

Tom Cole