Snappy Baldwin Tuning Pins

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Fri, 22 Dec 2000 23:09:16 -0600

>   For the jerky/ snappy pins, I agree with the comments about adapting
>style to the piano.  One thing I find myself doing, when the snap puts me
>past where I want to be with this type of pin, is actually taking it farther
>away, ie flatter, than I would normally do with a smoothly-moving pin.  My
>idea is that it gives me a little more latitude in making the small
>increments that will bring it up to where I want to go.  Often, I find this
>works very well, and a small nudge back sets it where I want it.  I have had
>good success with tuning stability using this method in that situation.
>
>Sincerely,
>Tom Dickson

This is a very good point. I hadn't mentioned this because I thought it was
obvious, and something we all would do automatically without even thinking
about it, but possibly not. If the minimum increment of change with the
snap - er - SNAP, is something like 10 cents, and you have to make a 2 cent
adjustment, you have little choice but to SNAP out 12, and SNAP back 10 to
end up somewhere in the ballpark of your target - or maybe you SNAP out 10,
and back 12. In any case, we all do it whether we put numbers to it, or
direct conscious thought at it or not. We do precisely the same thing with
non-jumpy pins, only to a lesser degree, but we still proportionalize back
and forth pin movements to accommodate the minimum pin movement increment
achievable with our hammer technique(s).

Ron N