Overshoot -- Pitch Raising

Thu, 21 Dec 2000 08:32:13 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Nossaman" <RNossaman@KSCABLE.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: December 19, 2000 12:22 PM
Subject: Re: Overshoot (was Re: Young Chang bridge pins)

> >Are you indicating heavy plates has something to do with that activity?
If
> >so, what visible signs might show a plate to be heavier than others?
>
> I think so. Since there is pretty conclusive evidence from Dr Sanderson
> (and others) that the majority of that pitch drop is from plate
> compression, and some supportive shade tree logic and soundboard
deflection
> math of my own that supports it too. Strut placement and such would
> probably make differences too and, as Don said, full perimeter plate, but
> in general, thicker iron bends less under a given load. Nothing here
that's
> convertible to numbers exactly, just a general fudge factor to consider.

Ron,

Interesting comments.  Now, I haven't tuned any pianos in, probably, 15
years and memory fades -- mercifully -- over time but I've a question here.
And even when I was tuning most everything was a grand of some sort.

Now, I've also heard the theories about plate compression during pitch
raises and have wondered... What is your experience pitch raising pianos
such as the Baldwin Hamilton? These have to be the lightest plates in the
business. Still, I don't hear many horror stories about either tuning them
or pitch raising them. What say you?

Del