Ed Seiler oddities

Wed, 20 Dec 2000 21:50:23 +0100

Newton Hunt wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> I would love to see pictures, of almost anything.  I lust
> for a digital camera severely.
>
> You would not see any impression in the wood unless you
> unbridged a string.  If the bridge is beech the notching
> absolutely must be notch right at the back tangent of the
> pin hole.

I will take a couple strings off, and check this.. but it seemed
pretty obvious that there were two speaking lengths.

> If it were improperly notched you _would_ hear false beats
> because the vertical speaking length and horizontal speaking
> lengths are different.  Since the string vibrates in a
> circular motion all speaking lengths are composited and
> differences are heard.

Well thats what I thought as well, and thats why this suprised
me.. but ok.. I will take your word for all this and double /
triple check with strings off and get back to you. After Xmas I
will take a few pictures and send them off to you

Yes... they love their beech over here.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.