Ed Seiler oddities

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Wed, 20 Dec 2000 08:24:47 -0500

Hi Richard,

I would love to see pictures, of almost anything.  I lust
for a digital camera severely.

You would not see any impression in the wood unless you
unbridged a string.  If the bridge is beech the notching
absolutely must be notch right at the back tangent of the
pin hole.

If it were improperly notched you _would_ hear false beats
because the vertical speaking length and horizontal speaking
lengths are different.  Since the string vibrates in a
circular motion all speaking lengths are composited and
differences are heard.

Here in America the most common bridge material is maple,
hard maple, so the notching is done to bisect the bridge
hole.

In the '70s S&S had a notcher that did not understand this
and notched from .5 to 1.5 mm _behind_ the back edge of the
pins.  Those pianos sounded horrible and were a royal pain
to tune because of the mismatch of speaking lengths.  I had
to live with those pianos for seven or eight years.

Oh yes, please, pictures!
--
		Newton Hunt
		Highland Park, NJ