Ed Seiler oddities

Tue, 19 Dec 2000 22:29:50 +0100

After reading Rons post on what must have been a
delightfull sounding YC...grin... I couldnt help
reporting another oddity relating to bridge pins.

Actually this grand sounds really quite nice, and
is pretty even througout. The odd thing about it
was that the bridge pins were situated such that
the back edge of the pins were at the start of the
bridge notching. This was like really acurate and
consistant. The strings left the pins at least a
mil pehaps even 2 mils after they left the bridge
itself.

No great amount of falseness  to report... really
a quite clean sounding thing. Suprised me to see
this..

Had to replace a couple treble strings on this
piano, and noticed also a really high bearing just
before the strings attach to the hitch pins. The
angle down to the hitch pins was really steep, and
the hitch pins themselves were not much off
vertical... made for a bit of exta effort in
putting on the strings. Cant say I have seen this
kind of bearing back of the bridge before. Looked
like the sort of bearing you see between the capo
bar and tuning pins... cast into the plate.. and
it was even filed to a pretty consistant width of
a couple mils or so.

Finnally.. around the entire perimeter of the
sound board about 3 inches from the rim was a
beveled channels about a 3/4 of an inch wide and
2-3 mils deep. I assume this was to help the area
of the panel inside this channel vibrate more
freely ??

Anyways.. just thought this was out of the usual
day to day stuff I see and decided to post it.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.