Stringing the Steinway buttons

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Tue, 19 Dec 2000 16:15:59 EST

Ron asks:
<<Now, did you try just leaving
the button off altogether on one of those you drilled out?>>

No way,  I am much too obsessive/compulsive to do that!
   The purpose, as I understand it, of these buttons is to even the sound
transmission
along the length of the bridge while allowing the soundboard more freedom to
move in that area of lower frequency's origin.
     I know that Del Fandrich can discuss the impedance needs of the board in
this area with more authority than most of the rest of us, but I have always
figured that the most efficient stiffness for the soundboard is going to
change along the length of the bridge, ie, the high end will profit most from
resistance that would choke the bottom, ( sounds sorta like my marriage, at
times!)
Regards,
Ed