Young Chang bridge pins

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Tue, 19 Dec 2000 08:01:53 -0600

Some time back, I was speculating on bridge layout methods of preventing
interference between rows of pins at the point where the back row of one
unison interferes with the front row of the next unison down scale. I
overlooked one  possibility.

Tuning a Young Chang G-150 last week, I was just sort of staring out there
somewhere as the 3/4 - full semitone pitch raise progressed without me when
something about the tenor bridge caught my attention. I noticed that no
obvious attempt had been made to juggle pin row spacing, speaking length
progression, or pin angle to accommodate that interference point, and
thought "wait a minute, how did they do that"? Then I noticed the pin
inclination angle. They were very nearly vertical. Looked to me to be under
5°, both front and back. The offset angle (stagger) was in a more normal
10-12° range.

After I got it up to pitch where I could hear how it was going to sound,
the result made me dig out my rocker gauge and do a quick and dirty bearing
check. The only positive bearing on the whole long bridge was on a half
dozen notes in the middle of the top section. The combination of no - to -
probably negative bearing through most of the piano, and the near vertical
bridge pins made for a rather unique sound quality.

This piano has an amazingly heavy plate too (I overshot the pitch raise). Sigh.

Ron N