Killing the List

Robin Blankenship itune@firstsaga.com
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 00:28:41 -0500

John,
Thank you for the thoughtful and well reasoned reply.
I have myself been the recipient of some splendid tech advice. As a non-RPT,
I am sometimes put off by the ocassional arrogant "know it all". But, on
balance, a specific question has gotten specific and enlighting replies. I
think that Ms. Grassi has been able to extract some terrific stuff for the
journal from our collective ideas.

Regarding a dues increase, perhaps if all PTG members realized that they
were paying for a well moderated forum, more would at least look at it. Very
few with whom I am in regular personal contact even seem to know about it. I
find that passing strange. Therefore, I concur.

The list is especially valuable for comparing methods, means, tools, etc.
from various parts of the globe.

I thought that ego massaging was generally not part of the professionals'
work related activities. A moderator could hopefully weed out some of that.

It is pretty evident who the real "heavy hitters" are. I often wait to read
a thread until one of them has chimed in. Then, I'll save their comments. I
now have a healthy folder of superior tech thoughts to draw upon. Quicker
than searching the list's archives!

Are you familiar with lists where all posts are pre-sorted by thread?
Perhaps a moderator could do that.

Also, they could help interject interesting topics when the going gets slow
or bogged down.

Perhaps non-PTG techs could get a "sample" version for awhile, thus
hopefully piqueing their interest in the Guild.

And, finally, a Moderator could perhaps untangle some of the highly
convoluted postings, which become rather difficult to decipher after the
thread has been bumped around a bit.

Just a thought.
Robin Blankenship