Hardman pianos

Clark caccola@net1plus.com
Sun, 17 Dec 2000 20:06:25 -0200

> Now here is the observation:
> The area measured was in the 6th & 7th octave primarily.  On 7
> different grands (Steinways M,A,B,D and Yamahas G2,C5,C7), I
> measured from 1" to 1 1/4" distance from the top of the soundboard
> to the strings (music wire).
>
> On this Hardman grand, the measurement is 5/8" !
>
> I am certain this must be contributing to the unique sound this
> piano is generating, as this is almost half the distance the
> vibrations of the strings have to travel to get to the soundboard.

Hi Keith,

I don't have one handy (and no Hardman's within easy reach), but the
couple little Mehlin grands I've seen slope boards with respect to the
string plane ending with very tall tenor and bass bridges (with holes in
them). Meanwhile, my old Hallet & Davis has stumpy 18-19mm bridges
throughout.

Clark