String Splice Time

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Sun, 17 Dec 2000 12:29:32 -0500

I always squeeze the knot with a pair of needle-nosed pliers. The splice is
more stable having done so.

Under full tension just one squeeze will drop the pitch a half tone. You
can't tell me
that this does not shorten the 'stretch-in' time.

I squeeze the knot on its length and width. I also leave it slightly sharp
with a mute
so by the next tuning it is stable.

The benefit of a splice is that there is a shorter new piece of wire to
stretch and the
appearance of the strings through the scale is not disrupted by a shiny,
new wire
and possible tone variation.

Heck, I've even tied knots in the speaking length of bass strings without
adverse
tone reduction (18 years and still holding).  But only once have I gotten
lucky to
have a splice come out well at the bridge end of the speaking length.

However, if after the second attempt to splice (wire failure) replace the
wire completely.
There is a point of diminishing returns.

Remember Santa's checking to see who's been knotty and nice...

Jon Page

At 12:48 PM 12/17/2000 +0100, you wrote:

>Ron Nossaman wrote:
>
> > >The point is that they do tighten further with time, and not a lot of it,
> > correctly tied or not. The beholder's ear should register that without a
> > lot of trouble were the beholder to splice a string or two.
> >
> > Ron N
>
>Well gee Ron... I have spliced quite a few strings... and after assuring
>the "knot"
>is good I have observed that they do not move significantly at all. Pull a
>well
>spliced string up to pitch and its much more stable then a new
>string.   Point is
>that this works and works well, and for many is considered a better
>solution then
>replacements.
>
>I am not sure the ears can  register movement in the knot even over
>time.  Not a
>big point tho.. strings will get out of tune anyways.
>
>I kinda agree with Clydes take on this personally, except I dont use
>Universals.
>

>--
>Richard Brekne
>RPT, N.P.T.F.