Hardman pianos

Meyer Carl cmpiano@home.com
Sun, 17 Dec 2000 09:38:27 -0800

I got a 7' Hardman grand from an estate sale.  The tuner who was =
rebuilding it died.  It had no strings, was refinished etc., but poorly. =
 I have it on consignment and haven't yet sold it. =20

Here are some of the things I've heard about hardman:

The book "Pianos and their makers"  speaks highly of Hardmans around the =
turn of the century .

It was at one time the official piano of the metropolitan opera.

It was advertised as the most expensive piano in the world.

FDR had one in the white house.

I can't verify those statement, but I think it compares as almost as =
good as the S&S "B".

Too bad I can't get a decent price for it like you can for a B.

Carl Meyer=20

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Dave Nereson=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, December 16, 2000 2:47 AM
  Subject: Hardman pianos

      (For- What- It's- Worth Dept.):
      I tune a 1916 Hardman 5'2" grand which I think used to be =
great-sounding but now, for various reasons, is just "OK".  But I have a =
1904 Hardman, Peck upright in my living room which has more guts in the =
bass and better sustain than many a small grand.  The case is also =
beautiful with an inlaid Greek key pattern across the top and around the =
keybed and inlaid wood "torches" with mother-of-pearl handles and flames =
on the front panel.  It also has a cast iron frame under the keybed, =
making it quite heavy. =20
      The action is a Wessell, Nickel, & Gross, with wippens that have =
lost motion compensators for the soft pedal.  W, N, & G really made some =
nice actions in their heyday, but I've seen some from later decades that =
were a disgrace to the once-famous name.  Maybe this was after Aeolian =
bought the Hardman name -- did they also control the W, N,  & G name? =
According to a book I read about pianos -- I forget which one -- actions =
made by Wessell, Nickel, & Gross (three former Steinway employees who =
went into the action manufacturing biz), became quite well known.  But =
of course the general public didn't always remember the exact names and =
some salesmen of the time would try to sell a piano by touting its =
"wood, nickel, & brass" action.  No kidding.
      Hardman, Peck also made mini-uprights with different names on the =
fallboard.  Mine says 'Hensel', with Hardman, Peck & Co. underneath.  =
It's a cute 42" upright, not console, with 73 keys, and sounds as good =
as most spinets or drop-action consoles I've tuned.  Great gig piano -- =
I can roll it up a ramp into my truck all by my lonesome.       --Dave =
Nereson

   ----- Original Message -----=20