Larger Tuning Pin Installation

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Sun, 17 Dec 2000 00:24:47 -0600

>...Is it still OK to install a pin a size larger if the
>pin is just borderline?
>Larry Trischetta

It's okay, but a better question would be, is it necessary to replace
borderline tuning pins if they are still holding?  I am not, at this stage
in life, a general proponent of doing any work that is unnecessary.

So, I mark suspect tuning pins with Liquid Paper Correction Fluid, and
monitor their stability on the next visit, meanwhile advising the customer
of such activity.  If I don't feel they will hold, based on prior
experience, I will take some course of action, even if it's just to get out
of Dodge  :)

> but only a few are way too loose to
>hold AT ALL,

These would certainly qualify for replacement, based on the information you
have thus far provided.

>but I was going to replace even the borderline ones.

I might choose to tap the borderline ones further into the pinblock, if
there is space below the coils to to do so.  Mind you, *tap only* for
slight visible movement, not drive them home to Kingdom come.  Also, the
pinblock needs to be supported from inside the action cavity if you choose
to do this.

If there are numerous marginal holding pins, I would probably encourage the
customer to just let me tap all of them and replace the ones that
absolutely won't hold, if I felt this was the best route to travel for the
particular situation.

Disclaimer, Larry: This information could be irrelevant if the pinblock
isn't up to the task of receiving these types of repairs / fixes.

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731
Piano Technicians Guild