String Splice Time

Sun, 17 Dec 2000 03:14:47 +0100

Clyde Hollinger wrote:

> Richard,
>
> When you replace a bass string, do you order a custom-made string which you install
> at a later appointment, or do you use universal replacement strings?

I havent used universals since my first year learning the ropes in Montana. Don't really
like them myself. Depending on the piano I tend to order bass pairs in the case of two
string unisons. I hate it when you replace just one of a pair and you run into that
horrible inharmonicity clash that often happens. Makes me almost wish I hadnt put on a
new string at all.  So I like to have a new mate handy in case of that problem.

> Most often I use the universal replacement, because I hate the look of string knots,
> and ordering a custom replacement is pricey unless the piano is worth it.  But I
> really have not liked the tone I sometimes get from the universal strings.

Hmmm.. cost... I am not sure what the price for custom made strings is in the states
anymore. But here you can get good quality custom made for about $10 a string, or about
$250 for a whole set. The downside that I like the least is the time it takes to order
and replace. People dont seem to react much to the price of strings here.  I dont really
like the looks of a splice either... but its a handy skill to have down.

Would be curious to know what you all pay for them stateside.

> Regards,
> Clyde Hollinger

Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.