String Splice Time

Sat, 16 Dec 2000 17:31:28 +0100

Farrell wrote:

> Hi List. Situation: Tuning piano in private home. Bass string breaks at
> coil. Best solution - splice. How much time does it take you to go out to
> your car, get appropriate tools, complete splice, put tools away?
>
> How long does it take you to get tools, custom make a universal bass string,
> put tools away?

Hi Terry, I carry the tools neccesarry for a splice in my tool box anyways. I
dont like spliceing, and do it very seldomly, prefering to replace bass strings.
Only instance I will do this is if I am waaayyy out in the boonies.

> I'm trying to figure out appropriate fees for these procedures - I have an
> idea it takes me a bit longer to complete these than most techs.
>
> Also, when splicing (which I have just started to do on a regular basis) how
> do you ensure that the knot is as tight as it will go, i.e. that the knot
> will not compact anymore with a resultant drop in string tension/pitch?

A correctly "tied" splice will tighten itself and isnt going to move at all
after that.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.