protek

Sat, 16 Dec 2000 17:11:51 +0100

Eugenia Carter wrote:

> Richard,
>
> You asked: how long? As with everything else in our work, how long is
> relative. (You might want to check the archives for using protek to assist
> in rendering.) As one example of my own use, on the Bosendorfer I did the
> first application, then a couple weeks later did a second. This was about
> three years ago. Have not had to touch up since, but that doesn't mean it
> may not need to be touched up when I tune it next week. Since I carry protek
> with me all the time, no problem. Use when/as needed.
>
> Following Ed's recommendation, the place I apply it for rendering assistance
> is on the underfelt of the strings between the tuning pin and the
> agraffe/capo bar areas. "Less is better" as in one or two drops per string
> for each application has worked for me.

You use this on bearing points between the front termination and the tuning pin
only then ?

> I don't recall anyone recommending that protek be used on agraffes. I don't
> think I would try that myself as I would be concerned about it creeping
> along the strings, but if it works for you great.

I understood that it was recommended to apply protek to the front termination
points themselves as well.  Didnt seem like it mattered whether it was an
agraffe or a Capo bar. In the case of the Bohemian, there was a lot of squeaking
and hanging of the string in the agraffes themselves.  Proteck did fix this, and
rendering was improved.. but it didnt last past the one sitting. Next time
around the problem was back, and I noticed a green colour to all the agraffes.