String Splice Time

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 16 Dec 2000 10:55:10 -0500

Hi List. Situation: Tuning piano in private home. Bass string breaks at
coil. Best solution - splice. How much time does it take you to go out to
your car, get appropriate tools, complete splice, put tools away?

How long does it take you to get tools, custom make a universal bass string,
put tools away?

I'm trying to figure out appropriate fees for these procedures - I have an
idea it takes me a bit longer to complete these than most techs.

Also, when splicing (which I have just started to do on a regular basis) how
do you ensure that the knot is as tight as it will go, i.e. that the knot
will not compact anymore with a resultant drop in string tension/pitch?

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com