Pitch raising

Kristinn Leifsson istuner@islandia.is
Sat, 16 Dec 2000 05:19:18 +0000

Hi Willem

>To go one step further in this, for those who think doing it slowly will keep
>a string from breaking, I have this observation. A string is going to break
>at a certain tension, whether the string reaches that tension in small
>increment of 15 or 20 cents at a time, or all 100 cents in one swell foop, as
>Jim suggests. It's kind like the weakest link in a chain theory.
>
>On another part of this pitch raise thingee. There are some tuners who charge
>extra depending on low the piano is. ($10 extra for a piano that is 10 cents
>low, $20 for a piano that is 20 cents low, etc.)  I think that is cheating
>the customer. If the pitch is raised in one swell foop, there should be no
>need to charge extra.

Yes, thatīs strange behavior.  Charge by the pass.
Or better yet, hook yourself up to a calorimeter, that way you know how
much extra work those 20 cents take compared to the 10 cents. <g>

>It doesn't take any more energy, nor time, to pull a
>string up 10 cents as it does to pull up a string 100 cents.

Tell that to Newton, (Isaac that is)  :)

>In fact, it is
>probably harder to do 10 cents that to do 100 cents, since you have to have
>more control for 10 cents than for 100 cents. I charge a set fee for a pitch
>raise and a tuning, whether that pitch raise is 25 cents or 250 cents.

I do that too. However, when I do a half tone pitch raise (two pitch
raises) , it takes me longer in the first pass.
Also, when going down the bass I lower the bass strings a bit to break off
any whatnots, wait for the little click, and bring them up.  That takes
more time.  So the second pitch raise is quicker, because I donīt have to
do that, and whether you like it or not, it isnīt as much movement that
time, is it?  Anyone??

But I donīt charge extra for the amount flat.

>Willem

Best regards,

Kristinn