ETD's, calculators and the exam

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 15:12:32 -0800

I didn't realize what the modern ETDs could do until I gave them a
chance. But, in fairness, I would have to state that a good machine
tuning is never done without aural supervision, and frequently some
aural correction. So, I would have to reject electronic-only tuning as a
viable approach to the exam or to piano tuning in general.

So, to answer your charge, Richard, that, "the human element is reduced
to simple mechanical motion", I can assure you that to responsibly use
an ETD requires the guidance of the piano technician. To tune, aurally,
each and every string is a nice idea but, having crossed over to "the
other side", I can say that electronics has only increased my ability to
tune. Rather than to tax myself needlessly doing all the grunt work, I
enjoy having promoted myself into management where my ears are content
to have the final say.

My view, as Jim would say. Not trying to proselytize.

Tom Cole
mailto:tcole@cruzio.com