Last octave

RustRazor@AOL.COM RustRazor@AOL.COM
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 14:10:04 EST

In a message dated 12/14/00 9:21:08 PM Eastern Standard Time,

<<
 "I intentionally sharpened the last octave of a Steinway D with my SAT
 last week.  I punched up the octave stretch so that the last note was 20
 cents sharper than a straight FAC tuning.  NOBODY noticed!!!!!
 Regards,
 Ed Foote RPT "

When you think about it, the last octave is the least important and least
used octave.  I know some piano tuners like to get all gooey about it, but
the fact is: There is very little classical literature that uses it, there is
probably no training method that employs it, jazz musicians like to play up
there sometimes but you surely have heard the expression "close enough for
jazz"....now if you tuned the middle octave 20 cents sharp...

Matt W., NY