ETD's, calculators and the exam

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 19:57:57 EST

ETD's, calculators and the exam

Some ramblings about the subject of ETD's and the exam. The original post
dealt with some complicated math problems that a computer solved, and how it
might be time for the PTG to consider using ETD for the exams. One person
told the story of how the CPA exam now allows the use of a calculator. One
member said it was important to know how to tune by ear, in case the machine
broke down. I mentioned that the ETD is only a tool, and unless one knows how
to use it properly, it does no good.

The use of the calculator on the CPA exam brought to mind something that
happened to me 20 years ago. At the time I had a "secretary" who's duty was
to deposit checks. At the end of one particular week she added up 25 checks,
each averaging about $35, and came up with a total deposit of over $1500. I
looked at the amount and questioned the total. The secretary had not realized
there was a mistake. After all, she said, the calculator added the numbers,
so it must be right. She did not know enough to realize that 25 time $35
doesn't total any where $1500. After checking the tape, she saw that two of
the entries were $350, instead of $35.00.

The calculator the CPA uses makes doing the arithmetic easier, and in some
aspects, more accurate. But he should also know enough basic math to know if
a mistake was made somewhere along the line. That doesn't mean he has to do
the whole calculation without the use of a calculator. (I know, the argument
is that if the calculator broke, he could still get the job done. Trust me,
an accountant will get another calculator before he will spend time adding
the numbers by hand). A tuner who uses an ETD to tune a piano can probably
do it easier, and in some aspects, more accurate. But that tuner should know
how a piano sounds to recognize if a mistake was made. Maybe not as blatant
as the $350 mistake, but enough to realize the machine is not working
properly. And if the tuner knows how to use the machine properly, then he/she
should be allowed to use it to take the RPT tuning exam.

Willem