Pin Torque minimum standard?

Stan Kroeker stan@pianoexperts.mb.ca
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 15:58:02 -0600

Newton Hunt wrote:

> Measurements of torque are unimportant.  What is important
> is, will it stay in tune.
>  If it will then the pins are
> tight enough whatever the torque.  I have tuned,
> successfully, pins that were so loose they would drop like a
> rock the moment I put the hammer on the pin because that
> minimum shock would free the pin yet when I got it where I
> wanted it and eased off the pin it would stray and stay and
> stay and stay.  Torque would have been unmeasurable.  If it
> won't stay it is too loose.

There are also many who are happy to drive a vehicle which burns oil
excessively and spews blue smoke.  If I were a mechanic and employed
your logic would I stake my reputation on the advice that 'as long as
the engine runs, the car can be driven successfully'?  Newton, if you
re-read the original message you will be reminded that I was talking
about 'minimum standards'.

I'm not interested in adding to the nebulous flim-flam that customers
often have to endure regarding their piano's maintenance.  Yes, some
pianos may still be capable of holding a stable tuning with pins below
50 inchpounds.  However, when pin torque drops below 40% of the optimum
level (assuming new torque in the vicinity of 120), the client is
entitled to know that this may be cause for concern.

Regards,

Stan Kroeker
Registered Piano Technician