Different Pitch Raising Sequence

Phil Bondi tito@PhilBondi.com
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 07:57:28 -0500

> Stephen Airy wrote:
>
> > Wow, 350 cents!  Hey, I've been wondering -- what's the flattest anyone
has
> > seen, and how long does it take typical pianos under typical conditions
> > go 50, 100, 50, 200, 250, 300, 400 cents flat?

Stephen, the flattest piano I have ever seen was a Cunningham Upright Player
that was -3xx something when I was called..the previous tuner didn't want to
deal with A=440 for fear of breaking wire and having to deal with that task,
so he always tuned it where it was.

I brought it up to pitch over a 6-month period and did not break a wire in
the process. I did it in 3 separate visits. I mentioned it here, on the
list, and was told by more than one person that my method was way too
conservative. Perhaps. But...i have a very happy customer that has referred
my services, a steady 6-month customer that has since re-worked the Player
and re-strung the Wound wire along with new hammers.

Every customer and every piano is going to be different. This particular
customer loves his Player, has a extensive Player Roll collection, and has
enjoyed it much more since I was able to convince him that his Piano was
worthy of something resembling A=440. This piano actually sounds great at
A=437.

roo(k)