Different Pitch Raising Sequence

Kevin E. Ramsey RPT ramsey@extremezone.com
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 18:43:59 -0800

Of course, you have to use your best judgement. Will the piano take it? Are
there cracks in the bridge? Remember, we're adding maybe a couple tons of
tension to the piano.
    That said, if you're going to tune the piano, just do it! I don't
believe in putzing around, raising it a little this time, and a little more
next time. Pitch raises always have a certain element of risk. Warn the
customer, and come to an agreement, then get to work. On pianos that are 200
cents flat, or so, start out with the thought that if things start going
badly pretty quick, then maybe you should take time to re-think. I'm not
saying to raise a piano which was not designed for A440, to A440. But if
it's been neglected that bad, then you really have to get it where it needs
to go quickly. Then it can stabilize, after maybe two or three more tunings.
    In one of my last postings, I mentioned how on REALLY flat pianos, I
will bring them just up to pitch, or a little above, on the single strings
only, then pull in the unisons. This is exactly what I was referring to.
That way, the tension is spread out evenly across the plate. It's the most
safe way to do it, I think. From there, you can do a regular pitch raise.
    By the way, after the pitch raise, you'll probably want to at least seat
the strings on the bridges before you start to tune the next time you see
the "patient".
    One more thing: Usually pianos that are THAT flat, haven't been tuned in
years and years. I don't give it a second's thought to applying "Liquid
Wrench" of Protek "CLP" to the bearing points before I start. I really
believe that helps prevent string breakage.
    My $.02