Hallet, Davis & Co. Maker?

Glenn Grafton glenn@graftonpiano.com
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 11:21:11 -0500

>The defunct piano company name, Hallet, Davis & Co., Boston,  was bought by
>Hyundai  and is one option a dealer has to stencil on his blank pianos from
>Hyundai.  The name I don't mind seeing as much as the  word "Boston."  It
>makes one think that they are buying a U.S. piano.
>
>Phil Ryan
>Miami Beach

The Hallet Davis piano name brand can be found on pianos that are made by a
number of factories. Here in the US they are distributed by North American
Music in Nyak, NY.

They had been on Samick made pianos for a period of time, but Samick put
the nix on that since it was too close to their own Kohler & Campbell
pianos that they market.

Current Hallet Davis pianos are made now I believe exclusivley in China.
For the money, they're not a bad sounding piano.

We of course always explain the differences in the various brands that we
carry, where they're made and the pros and cons of each.

The issue of the name on the fallboard is a larger issue than with just
Hallet Davis. Most people are totally unaware of the fact that the Boston
pianos marketed by Steinway are actually made by Kawai. I'm sure that will
be more of a problem with the new Young Chang Korean pianos (Essex I
believe) that will be marketed by Steinway dealers as well.

Glenn Grafton
Grafton Piano & Organ Co.
Souderton PA
http://www.graftonpiano.com/
glenn@graftonpiano.com
800-272-5980

The box said "Requires Windows 95, or better." So I bought a Macintosh.