Tuning Test

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 11:31:08 EST

In a message dated 12/12/00 8:11:54 PM Central Standard Time, DGPEAKE@AOL.COM
writes:

<< 2. Your ETD battery goes dead and will not charge up. This has
 happened to me on the first tuning on Monday morning of a very busy week.
 Should I say "Sorry, Mrs. Jones, I cannot tune your piano today, because my
 ETD is not working."  Or, to send my SAT in for a new battery and takes a
 week to get back, which I did. I would have lost a whole weeks worth of work
 had I not had my aural skills.

 I hope that the tuning tests never lose the aural part. ETD's are excellent
 sources and in many cases, a good quality piano can be tuned properly using
 the ETD alone. But because of the above reasons, I will never support the
 aural section of a tuning exam be eliminated.

 Dave Peake, RPT >>

Not relating this to the tuning exam per se, but if you rely on an ETD, then
a tuner should be very sure that the instrument is working properly, and
juiced up all the time. If the instrument has to go to a shop for repairs,
preparations should be made to obtain a replacement.

If by chance, a machine does break down, a new appointment can be set up.
Unless it is a concert situation, a customer can wait a couple of days for
the piano to be tuned. If it is a concert situation, then it would be the
tuner's responsibility to find another machine, or find someone who has a
machine.

It is called being prepared. The ETD is part of your tool kit. A competent
tuner/tecyhnicaisn should make sure all his/her tools are working properly,
all the time.

Willem