Unisons - how clean?

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 11:25:10 +0000

John,
      The unisons should be as good as the piano allows for concerts and
homes.  This is not hard if one comprehends the pianos' limitations and does
not  become stressed attempting to exceed them.  About 50% of false beats can
be fixed with a quick push on the string to seat it into the speaking length
bridge pin notch with a brass rod or even a hammer shank   This is much better
use of time and energy than tuning, retuning, and retuning, for cleaner unisons
than the piano allows.
      I hazard a guess that about 25% of "ETD perfect" unisons can be made to
sound better by retuning them aurally.   Play a slow chromatic scale lightly to
check for consistency of sound. Consistency is what musicians hear, and unisons
are what they are most aware of.

-Mike Jorgensen
A staunch unisonist, (I finish them as I go).