Yamaha pianos

Marcel Carey mcpiano@globetrotter.net
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 07:42:52 -0500

C'est un message de format MIME en plusieurs parties.

At first I thought that all grey market Yamahas were old school pianos. =
While in Japan last month, I had the opportunity to talk to a lot of =
Japanese techs. A few things I found interesting.

Most Japanese tehnicians work for a store (usually Yamaha). They are =
under big pressure to sell pianos as well as service them. I was told by =
one of them that when the piano gets to be 25 or 30 years old, they have =
to sell a new one. They do take the ''old'' piano as a trade-in, but the =
given value is (are you ready for this) $0.00. They just haul it back to =
the store as a favor to the owners. Then of course, it is sold to a =
broker that has the mandate to have the piano out of the country =
a.s.a.p.

So I see competition between Yamaha Japan, Yamaha U.S. and Yamaha =
Canada. But all under the dark image of ''Grey market'' or as they say =
in Canada ''Wet pianos''. This market will continue to flourish as long =
as there is pressure to have 30 years old pianos replaced in Japan.

Now I don't recommend these in Canada because I've seen pianos loose =
their playability because of our really dry winters, but it's really =
hard to enlighten the prospective buyer who goes shopping for a Yamaha =
and gets to select between a new and a gray one.

But just try to imagine how piano sales would do if we were to adopt =
such a policy for old klunkers here in North America...
=20
Marcel Carey, RPT
(819) 564-0447
mcpiano@globetrotter.net