Hallet, Davis & Co. Maker?

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 08:08:15 -0500

Ya know what really smells fishy to me about this one? The piano owner is a
piano-teaching-studio owner. I tune four pianos for her regularly. She
wanted a nice grand for her recital hall. She was considering several
mid-priced pianos, like Kawai and Yamaha. I warned her about getting a
Korean, Chinese, or Indonesian piano for a institutional setting (I find
they start out bad and go down hill faster than others). I suggested
considering Petrof also - just though she would like to check out a
non-asian mfg.

So she went to the local Petrof dealer. He told me a week or so later that
she bought a piano from him. I talked to her a couple weeks later and she
told me she bought a Petrof. She refers constantly to the piano as her
Petrof. I go to tune in the other day and it was the "Hallet, Davis &
Company, Boston". I just hope like (you know what) that she was not told by
the dealer that the piano was actually a Petrof.

Because of the nature of what I am looking into here (gross deceipt at a
minimum) do we have anyone else with knowledge where a "Hallet, Davis &
Company, Boston" would have been manmfactured within the last year or two?
Phil Ryan suggested it was made by Hyundai. Are we pretty sure on this? The
piano scale is divided into only three sections, and the tail is real wide.
No name on plate.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida