[OT] Speaking of "Perfect Pitch" . . .

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Sat, 09 Dec 2000 17:44:51 -0600

Hi Ron,

I thought the thread was about what instrument created the best ears. Not
which instrument should be a pitch standard. And the reason the piano is
the default standard is simply that rarely is the pianist a piano tuner.

As far as tuning it to the violin--that is exactly what happens in a string
orchestra. In a full orchestra the obeo gets the nod. Unless they are using
the piano for a concerto--then they use it.

At 12:42 PM 12/09/2000 -0600, you wrote:
>>I would have thought the piano was "last place" as far as developing an ear
>>for pitch--the player *almost* never tunes his instrument--whereas most
>>other instrumentalists *do*.
>>
>>Regards,
>>Don Rose, B.Mus., A.M.U.S., A.MUS., R.M.T., R.P.T.
>

>Right, they do - to the piano. If a piano is available, it tends to be the
>default pitch standard unless, of course, the happens to be a pipe organ
>available. I don't recall ever hearing anyone say "Tune it to the violin",
>though I might not have been paying attention and missed it.
>
>Ron N

Regards,

mailto:drose@dlcwest.com
http://donrose.xoasis.com/