Spare Me From "Perfect Pitch"!

Kristinn Leifsson istuner@islandia.is
Sat, 09 Dec 2000 19:12:39 +0000

Tuners of the world unite.

The vast majority are playing head games, or think they hear something
better.
Iīm talking strictly about tuning now, not voicing bugs.
Having perfect pitch only does so much.
My former teacher, Don Mitchell, has a little keyboard that is
tunable.  Whenever he getīs a "PP" student he asks them to tune the
keyboard without all outside references.  Without exception it turns out
like... a road-kill.

So even if PPīs can sense that "this is A", or whatever, they have no way
of knowing difference in "teensy terms".
"A" can be a lot.  Humans didnīt evolve to the point of recognizing certain
pitch as being right from another.  Thatīs ridiculous.  Itīs just good
tonal memory
What about PPīs of the 17th century.  How would they have liked the tuning
that a PP of today approved of?  They would have screamed, not being used
to it, thatīs all.

So, what Iīm trying to say, is that PPīs (in my opinion) may well have a
very good tonal memory.
I have an O.K. tonal memory. I can normally tell if a piano is flat,
without using a fork, and recognize an F sharp very often because I
listened too much to the Black Key Etude for a while.
But what weīre doing is way out of PPīs league.  You can tell them I said so.

I have a Finnish friend that can pick out numerous notes in a discordant
chord right on the spot.
I think he could kick very many PPīs gluteally if it came to that.
He is afflicted with PP, but he sayīs he developed it with time, and itīs
just tonal memory.

Heīs an accordionist (one of the best in Europe), so I donīt think cares
about the tuning too much!  <g>

Best regards,

Kristinn