Replacement Casters & New Tool

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sat, 09 Dec 2000 10:15:02 -0600

> There is an Inn here on the Cape which went through a few double rubber
> casters per year.
> Flag stones, thresholds and pavement (no wonder) chewed up the rubber or bent
> the studs.
>
> After installing the upright dollys from Jansen I have had no repair orders.
> These are two
> units which bolt onto the piano on each end (back and bottom). They protrude
> out the back
> of the piano but the 4" wheels make transport a breeze.
> --------------------------
> Jon Page

In one high school, after three or four years of replacing casters, toe blocks,
and putting the sides back on, I informed them once again that they needed
dollies, and I was officially out of places to put screws. The next disaster
would result in a large handful of sawdust and instead of making piano mache,
we'd be replacing - not repairing - major case parts. Since they'd already
spent the equivalent of at least three sets of dollies in disaster recovery,
they finally decided to do it.

Three months after the dolly installation, I got a call that they had BROKEN
THE DOLLIES. She had turned her back on them for a moment during a minor move,
and they naturally took the opportunity to try out a high speed ramp jump with
the new wheels. They broke the big flanges where the casters mount, loose from
the frame. I told her I could come get the dollies, and either replace them, or
weld them at the breaks. She said she'd get back to me.

Another three months later, she called for a tuning. When I walked in and saw
the piano, I learned that the school maintenance guys had welded it themselves
- still on the piano. There were large charred depressions on the bottom board
(back),  outlining the dolly frame, but it was fixed and hadn't cost them
anything.

I don't know how this story finally came out. Somewhere along the line, they
apparently got tired of the lectures and repair bills for repeated damage
resulting from ignoring the lectures, and quit calling me. That, or someone
higher up got a look at that "repair" and asked who their tooner was. In any
case, I haven't seen the piano since. Perhaps they have the maintenance guy
coming in on a regular basis and making piano mache.

Ron N