Spare Me From "Perfect Pitch"!

Sat, 09 Dec 2000 09:49:31 +0100

Ron... I used to use almost those exact words ("No, it's not, but it's in
tune") and found the percentage of folks running me off was to high for
comfort. I tried a different tackt a few years ago and it generally works
great. I tell them right off that they obviously have a very good ear to be
able to hear such things. Then before they get past being unexpectedly
flattered I start telling them that if they werent able to find several notes
they didnt really like the sound of in any given piano then something was wrong
because.... etc etc etc.

Seems like most often a customer is expecting an argument... perhaps even
bitting for one when they start off with this stuff. Giving them the exact
opposite of what they expect perhaps puts them off balance in a nice kinda way,
and gives you an opportunity to exploit.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.