Grand piano design - parallel vs angled strike line?

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Sat, 9 Dec 2000 18:38:24 +1100

To those commentators on piano design, and other interested lurkers,

While it is generally accepted that the hammer strike line should be
parallel to the front of the key bed for smaller grands, the
situation is not so universally accepted for longer pianos.

I have raised this issue with piano designers over the years and
there is some variance of opinion. Obviously, a shortened treble
layout will position the treble tuning pins closer to the tuner (this
may certainly be an issue for a 3 metre piano), but is this the
primary reason for shortening the treble end keys, and what are the
negative outcomes of such a design regime?

Recently, one designer claimed that shorter keys are necessary in the
treble for the tone. He claimed that the resultant stiffer treble
keys (of the angled strike-line pianos) assist with the feel of a
'crisp' treble. I remain a sceptic, since the hammer mass is less in
the treble. Therefore the treble keys should appear to be relatively
stiffer than those of the bass (even if they are of the same length
and depth), since note C88 will be lifting a hammer which is often
40% lighter than the first bass hammer.

Kawai, Fazioli, Steinway and Yamaha all shorten their treble end
concert-piano key lengths (by as much as 75mm or 3"), while
Bosendorfer persist with a non-angled strike in their 9'6" Imperial
model. Certainly an angled-strike regime complicates the geometry
setup for the wippen heels (most, if not all angled-strike adherents,
seem not to make any adjustments). Ideally, when the strike is
angled, the wippen heel depth should be greater for the shorter
treble keys (if the contact between the capstan and heel is to remain
on the fulcrum line at half dip). Therefore, if we are to produce
wippens with idealised heel dimensions from bass to treble, for
angled-strike-line pianos, the heels should vary in height from bass
to treble accordingly. Such a heel set could be made from a specially
tapered piece of stock prior to sawing them to width. When the strike
line is parallel, no such geometry problems are encountered. While a
parallel strike will place the treble tuning pins some distance away
from the tuner (as already mentioned), the extreme treble is more
likely to have a smaller sound board area between the bridge and the
adjacent outer rim - a desirable design objective I would think. Some
might consider using a greater dead-string-length between the capo
bar and the tuning pins as a solution with the parallel-strike
design, but excessive length here would surely encourage rendering
and tuning stability problems.

Your views I await.

Ron O
--