Replacement Casters & New Tool

Joseph Alkana jfa19@IDT.NET
Fri, 08 Dec 2000 21:46:32 -0800

John Ross wrote:

> Hi List,
> I have had my second school, complain of the replacement double
> rubber wheel casters, splitting.
> The supplier tells me he has had no complaints from anyone else.
> The schools insist that there was no rough moving involved. (Naturally)
> They had been installed less than a year before.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem?
>
> As a tie in with caster replacement. I found a wonderful tool that
> enlarges the cavity for the casters. It is called a Rotozip, spiral saw.
> I don't like building up the caster height with the spacers, making it
> higher.
> Another tool I recently found, was a mini heat gun, by Ryobi, only
> $20 Cdn. I intend to use it where I previously used the small propane
> torch. It is 350W and gives heat up to 350C, and weighs .9lb.
> Regards
>
> John M. Ross,
> Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada.

John,
Thanks for the great tip on using the Rotozip. I've been wanting to try
one out but hadn't really come up with a use to justify the cost. Guess
that's all changed now. Any special set up or method you use?

I, too, have had new castors split up on me this past year. Also the
facility engineers claim no rough treatment was perpetrated on the those
hapless instruments involved. I believe the castors came from APSCO.
Could be just a bad batch or something. Probably going to be hard to get
the suppliers to fess up to shoddy parts. Frankly, I think we're going
to see more of this in the future, but I digress pessimistically! Of
course, the best solution for pianos in an institutional setting is to
use a suitable piano truck intended to take greater abuse than the stock
wheels. If the party that owns the piano doesn't want to put up the
money for an adequate transport, then you can get the extra $$ to repair
same when the wheels come off again!

Joseph Alkana