Spare Me From "Perfect Pitch"!

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Fri, 08 Dec 2000 20:53:08 -0800

Patrick,

I don't think the issue was perfect pitch (or whatever you choose to
call it). The music teacher was obviously upset about other things and
you got the honor of being the target of her projected angst. Maybe she
thought that playing the PP card would trump your SAT.

Many people are confused about what causes an unpleasant tone quality -
whether it be tuning, voicing, poor design, a poor rebuild or expecting
S & S D tone out of the first octave of a Wurlitzer spinet. Few people
know about these elements of tone; they only know that pianos are
_tuned_. The reason that this piano doesn't sound right must be because
it wasn't _tuned_ properly.

Over the years, I've had people point out certain notes of my tuning
that could use some improvement, and I can appreciate it when a person
is right. But most of the time they just want to complain about
something, and many times they make a laughingstock of themselves when
they play the C-E-G chord in the bottom octave or pick out the one note
that was one of the better-sounding notes on the whole piano (you
pretend to change it and, "Oh, that's much better".).

One thing we can say about customers with PP, though, is that they might
be a little high maintenance because they notice a lot more than the
average person and you may have to do a fair amount of fiddling to keep
them happy. But I always learn a lot in the process and value them
because they can also be among your greatest appreciators.

Tom Cole
mailto:tcole@cruzio.com