Wegman upright

Tony Caught caute@optusnet.com.au
Fri, 8 Dec 2000 13:08:40 +0930

Hi Phil

I guy by the name of Sydney Beale (Sir) invented this system ? in Sydney,
Australia, 100 or so years ago. If not this system, one that is very
similar.
           -----
          /     /
          /  o /
          /     /      This is approximate shape of pin.
          /     /
        /        \
      /_____\

The iron frame is thicker where the tuning pins are installed.
The hole is first drilled through the plate, then the hole is widened from
the back and drilled with a reverse flair, then a thread is cut into the
widened hole.
The pin is standard at the front and flared at the back.
The pin is inserted into the pin hole from the back and a lock screw is
screwed in to hold the pin in its right position and provide a pressure fit
on the flared section.

This method of using a tuningplankless pin system was used by other
companies in England and America under their own name. But in this country
is called the Beale patented tuning system.

Beale piano company stopped using this system in the early 50's because
Yamaha had just started making and selling there pianos in bulk in Australia
at vastly cheaper prices. Some of the list may remember these pianos, not
the best pianos but the best value for money at that time.

Beale carried on making pianos but they used the same iron frame with the
thickness reduced (at the pin block area) fitted wooden planks and sold them
at a cheaper price.

Thus I say cost in drilling, threading, fitting etc. is the factor.

At the same time I am still tuning these pianos that are now almost 100 yo
and they are as tight as they were when first made.  Sometimes the pins
freeze into their position and the pin breaks trying to shift it, (the tuner
should pull the piano out from the wall, take of the backing plate and
loosen the screw, tap the pin to loosen then tighten the screw again. But
this seems to be too much work for some tuners in a hurry or lack of
knowledge.

There are thousands of these pianos still in use in Aussie Land.