Tuning an Autoharp

Joe & Penny Goss imatunr@primenet.com
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 07:08:00 -0700

Clyde,
Happens a lot esp bass and highest strings.
Joe Goss
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Clyde Hollinger=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, December 07, 2000 3:59 AM
  Subject: Re: Tuning an Autoharp

  Dave,=20
  I would add only one thing to the answers you've already received.  If =
you are a cautious person like I am, and if the autoharp has some age to =
it, you might want to mention to the owner that if any strings tear she =
will have to have them replaced by someone else unless, of course, you =
have those really thin wires handy.=20

  I've never seen an autoharp with torn strings.  I'm just assuming it =
could happen.=20

  Regards,=20
  Clyde Hollinger=20

  DGPEAKE@AOL.COM wrote:=20

    Dear Friends and Collegues,=20
    This Friday I am tuning one of my regular clients piano. Today she =
called and=20
    asked if I could also tune her autoharp which is 1/2 step flat. I =
have never=20
    tuned one so I am asking for some advice assuming some of you (Wim?) =
have=20
    done this before. She has the tool for it.=20

    1. I would guess it would need a pitch raise. How much harmonic =
stretch is=20
    involved if any?=20

    2. Using my SAT 3 should I perform an FAC stretch or keep it at zero =
cents=20
    and tune?=20

    3. How long should it take?=20

    4. Should I attempt the job at all? If so, any other hints you can =
pass along?=20

    I am not an autoharp technician (AT) and do not belong to the =
Autoharp=20
    Technicians Guild (ATG-if there is such an organization). Your =
professional=20
    advice will be greatly appreciated.=20

    Dave Peake, RPT=20
    Portland Chapter=20