misfiring jack

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Wed, 06 Dec 2000 23:44:28 -0600

Hi John,
         If the wippen centre pins are starting to cease up due to
verdigris, this could account for it. If the keybushing are badly cupped
same result.
This piano was probably too light from the get go. So weighting could
give a major improvement. Measure the DW and UW to get some indication
of where to place the lead. 48gms DW usually works well on these small
pianos. Remember to have the damper pedal depressed when measuring.
If you weight off, fix the key bushing first.

A fast and nasty, temporary fix for no friction re key pins. Take an awl
and spring the balance rail pin forward, and out of the worn cup, turn
the front rail guide pin for only .005" side play. this will stop the
key from flopping all over the place, and make the instrument much more
playable.  A lot of energy can get wasted when the key is wobbling
about. Instead of driving it straight back.

Hope this ives you some thing to try.
roger