1905 Steinway D

Paul tunenbww@clear.lakes.com
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 22:28:25 -0600

List
The local Bible College has a 1905 Steinway D. It was restrung about 15 =
years ago. That work is passable. The case was refinished, but the =
results looks best from about 50 feet. About all that was done was fill =
the dents, spray it with black lacquer, and rub it down over the orange =
peel. Possible budget constraints played a part. The College is  OK with =
the case and restringing and are now looking at reconditioning the =
action. I suggested they start with the key frame and replace just about =
everything to get past all the makeshift repairs from the past years of =
service. This should include the back action and dampers. The person in =
charge of the instrument has some technical background as well as =
performance skills and wants the piano to play as one would expect from =
a well repaired and maintained Steinway. He asked me what the piano is =
currently worth and what it would be worth after the work was completed. =
There are not many of these around here, so I don't know what to tell =
him.

Basically, the work that has been recently done i.e. the belly work, =
bridge work,  and restringing is OK but cosmetically tacky. Same for the =
case. The action needs the works. The keytops have been replaced and =
that is a first rate job. So, here's my questions:
1. What's it worth as is?
2.What's your guess on price of reconditioning the action?
3.What's it going to be worth when it is completed?

I understand the variables that play into this, but a ball park is what =
they are after.

Thanks for your input.

Paul Chick