Wegman upright

Bud Schwab budschwab@earthlink.net
Wed, 06 Dec 2000 17:44:35 -0800

Hi Clyde,

Those old Wegmans had a different kind of tuning pin;  they didn't have a
pinblock as I remember.  The tuning pin was in a kind of teardrop shaped
hole so the tension of the string pulled the pin down into a narrowing part
of the hole for gripping purposes.  I think the recommended technique of
tuning those was to do a slight bit of lift while moving the pin.  Haven't
seen one of those for a long time.

Bud

At 04:07 PM 12/6/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Friends,
>
>Today I tuned a 1910 Wegman upright serial 15799.  I am curious about
>something.  Cast into the plate was this:
>
>Tuning pin fastening patented
>June 15, 1886
>November 11, 1902
>
>What does this refer to?