Burnout/not excusable language

RptBob1@AOL.COM RptBob1@AOL.COM
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 14:57:28 EST

In a message dated 12/6/2000 5:27:08 AM Mid-Atlantic Standard Time,=20
istuner@islandia.is writes:

>=20
>=20
> P.S.  I still think you=B4re doing a good job trying to hold up the standa=
rds=20
> here, but it=B4s really simple.  If you wan=B4t a clear-cut format, you ha=
ve to=20
> get a moderator.  Even chat rooms have moderators, in which the moderator=20
> throws out people if their chatting is out of line.  That=B4s the only way=
=20
> you=B4ll get what you=B4re striving for.  Resistance is futile.  Go with t=
he=20
> flow.
>=20
>=20
Hi:

I can't agree with this last paragraph.  Why should the PTG spend extra mone=
y=20
(I would presume this would be necessary for having a "Moderator").  What=20
ever happened to self-control?  So simple and so universal.  Self control an=
d=20
professional attitude.  Doctors and Piano Tuners can (and do, I'm sure) spea=
k=20
any way they wish amongst themselves in informal settings.  Dinner, hallway,=
=20
casual meeting, and on and on.  But in meeting the public or expressing=20
yourself to other professionals (on this list) who feel inappropriate=20
language is not acceptable, then a dash of self control and professional=20
discipline is absolutely necessary. =20
If you were being interviewed for a job, would you resort to your "casual"=20
language choices, or would you be a bit extra careful to exhibit restraint=20
and a degree of professionalism.    Give this list the same courtesy and=20
respect and you will get it in return, I am certain.
If we do not insist upon this standard as a profession, then who is to do=20
this for us? =20

In the world of advertising, repetition of a point is a necessity for that=20
point to finally come across.  On this list, slow progress can and will be=20
made if there is always some voice out there repeating what is expected of=20
each of us as professionals.  I will continue to express my strong feelings=20
about this because I think more people will become more aware of measuring=20
the words they write and speak.  This does not negate levity, casualness or=20
informal discussion-that is not my intent at all.  Just an awareness of good=
=20
language and respectful communication.

Most sincerely,=20
Bob Bergantino