Burnout

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Tue, 5 Dec 2000 09:14:53 EST

Brian wrote:

<<"As for cranking out tunings...  I know it's the piano technician's "bread
and butter".  But I've been thinking if that's what this business is all
about, I think it's time to find a new profession.  I grow to hate it more
each and every tuning.   <now where did that come from? that wasn't what we
were talking about!>
Brian Trout">>

Geez..... does this sound familiar! :-)

 Well for one thing Brian heaping tuning after tuning after tuning upon
oneself does create a sense of sameness both to the actions performed and the
words said. Saying the act of tuning , once the bearing is set, is a kinda
boring, repetitive activity is kinda like saying cold oatmeal is
tasteless..don't need much 'splaining.:-)

 Telling customer after customer the same, or nearly the same, words can be
mindnumbing especially when you know they are not really listening. I would
imagine that Doctors, lawyers, etc. get the same feeling of
frustration/futility when they see patient after patient, client after client
ignore their very good advice.

 So the answer might be 'don't "crank out" tunings'. Try to expand your
repair business, schedule non-tuning days, for shop work...fishing...talking
politics on pianotech:), volunteer work...anything but tuning.

 Take more time with each tuning and turn each appt. into an adventure rather
than a money grubbing thingee. Experimenting with HTs, as Richard suggested,
is very good and will give you new vistas to explore as well as increase
depth of knowledge/understanding of what is going on when tuning.

 Find a person or place that needs help desperately, vis a vis their piano,
and do the work pro-bono...immensely satisfying and will feed your soul as
well as your ego. (don't overdo this)

  A factor that can't be ignored is your personal life and what is happening
there.  Sometimes we find ourself just floating along with no real goals,
objectives or reasons for doing what we are doing and this alone is enough to
make 'any' activity meaningless or nearly so.  If this might be a factor then
set some goals or objectives. Make them realistic and achievable, ratchet
them up as the attainment gets closer. In this way you won't be 'tuning for
bucks' rather you will be striving to reach a goal and this can make all the
difference in your perception of your daily work.
Just some thoughts.
Jim Bryant (FL)