Sufficent light/was: The needed quiet... Ron N.

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Tue, 05 Dec 2000 07:53:29 -0600

>As for cranking out tunings...  I know it's the piano technician's "bread
>and butter".  But I've been thinking if that's what this business is all
>about, I think it's time to find a new profession.  I grow to hate it more
>each and every tuning.   <now where did that come from? that wasn't what we
>were talking about!>

Hi Brian,
Yea, that's the JOB part of the job, along with the paperwork and other
administrative junk. I get through it in a lot of different ways. Here are
a few possible considerations toward your survival on tuning days.

I regularly go into neighborhoods that normally wouldn't let me past the
gate, into half-million dollar houses through the front door just like a
real person, walk into a half-acre living room, sit down at a $60,000
piano, and I'm on my turf. That's kind of cool, in a perverse sort of way.
I get the occasional wonderful surprise of meeting extraordinary people in
quite unexpected places and circumstances. Once in a while, I get to be a
hero. Once in a while, what I do is truly appreciated (try that in a real
job) and I get the occasional chance to both extend and receive a genuine,
no strings, non politically motivated kindness or consideration (try that
too, while you're at it). Rarely, but memorably, I'll get a short
performance from a pianist that's better at this than I will ever be at
ANYTHING. I've always admired capability first, and that sort of thing can
make my whole week. During the actual tuning, I don't have to be entirely
there. Auto pilot is a wonderful thing, and tuning is a sort of strange
phantasy world in the first place, at least it is to me. In those
accumulated seconds between tuning events that need conscious intervention,
I can look the piano over and play "what if". I've also designed a lot of
jigs and shop processes during the course of some otherwise uneventful
tuning, and I'll stop and make notes or a quick sketch for when I get back
into the real physical world of the shop. I'll notice some unusual design
feature of the piano and spend a few minutes investigating and wondering.
What the heck causes that awful string noise? Does it go away if I touch
here, or here? Hey, I didn't realize this worked that way! I'll spend a
dollar's worth of time a hundred times through the year in hopes of
learning something that will save me that much in frustration and despair
in that one nightmare service call. You know the one, where the fix was so
obvious after you stopped looking where you knew the problem had to be and
started thinking? That's a major problem with tuning, in my opinion. We
tend to quit thinking and just serve our time running the internal program.
It doesn't have to be a day lost to just installing tunings and generating
income though, it's possible to learn something and still have those
satisfied customers and a fist full of checks to deposit. The people and
the exposure to multiple minor educational opportunities are the closest
thing to a tuning antidote that I've got.

Next time you find "Tuning Funk" woolying up your brain cells, consider
that lost soul in an aircraft plant fabrication shop, pushing a drill all
day - every day, for thirty years. What kind of on the job educational
opportunities does he or she have?

Now get back to work.  <G>

Ron N