Thanks to Susan Kline

Susan Kline sckline@home.com
Mon, 04 Dec 2000 21:38:03 -0800

At 12:07 AM 12/05/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Susan,
>     A quick question. What if, for some reason, that I want to get the
> glue joint apart later. Have you ever tried it?
>
>Greg Newell

I've tried taking it apart within a few minutes of making it. You can get
it apart. The white glue is still wet and not fully set. There is sort of a
foamy, clotted feeling to it, as if the CA had bubbled when it hit the
white glue. The joint seems to get firmer over a few hours.

For some jobs, I don't worry about whether the joint can be broken apart
later. For instance, when gluing in rubber buttons, I assume I can just
drill out the button later if need be. I would never use CA and white glue
for something like a hammer head, though, where one can assume that the
hammer will need to be removed at some future point. I would also never
glue in a wood screw with CA, because it's too likely that the screw will
seize, and be impossible to turn out.

I haven't tried taking a wood joint apart after it has fully cured, or, for
that matter, a cloth to cloth joint. I think that the cloth would be pretty
hard to take apart without tearing holes. Whether heat and/or steam or
acetone would work with a wood joint, I don't know. Maybe once the
Christmas rush is past I'll try some.

Has anyone else tried taking a CA-white glue joint apart later on?

Susan