Broadwood

JStan40@AOL.COM JStan40@AOL.COM
Sun, 3 Dec 2000 23:25:06 EST

> Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 12:06:11 +0100
> From: Richard Brekne <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no>
> Subject: Re: Broadwood
>
> Meyer Carl wrote:
>
> > I remember a square Broadwood on the beach of New Zealand in the movie
> "The
> > Piano".  The waves were breaking around the legs.  At that time I wasn't
> > aware that squares were made in England or in Europe for that matter.
> Great
> > movie but very strange.
> >
> > Carl Meyer
>
> Yes... even stranger was the sound of that piano... sounded like an 8 foot
> grand
> or something. Holli-wood---- sheesh..

Richard!

Odd, isn't it, that with all the emphasis these days on authenticity of
performance, pitch level, temperament (oops!  Please, no flames!) that when
it comes to a movie like that, the music was simply hopeless, hopeless,
HOPELESS!  It was a compelling story, to be sure, but........I very nearly
walked out of the theater because of the music.  With that in mind, what hope
was there that the piano would sound even remotely the way it looked?
Hollywood in the '30s and '40s tried very hard to be as realistic as possible
with most movies.............too expensive now.  Easier to do it in house
with samples.........Sheesh is right!

Stan Ryberg
Barrington IL