tips

Dave Nereson dnereson@dimensional.com
Sun, 3 Dec 2000 20:39:44 -0700

In twenty years of tuning, maybe 3 or 4 times the customer (invariably a
new piano owner) has asked,  "Do you guys take tips?", to which I reply,
"It's not customary" or something to that effect.  However, I have had
many many customers routinely write the check for $5 to $25 over the
amount on my bill as appreciation for doing a good job (or maybe they
think I'm not charging enough).  I also get cookies if they happen to be
eating or baking some.  Almost everyone asks if I have enough light and
if I'd like a Coke or glass of water.  Also, I occasionally get garden
produce and invitations to join them for lunch or dinner, etc., but this
is usually with long-time customers or customers who are friends of
friends.  Most people are nice but there are those whom I have to ask
not to vacuum, or to turn the stereo, TV, or kids down (and in some
households, that after-school TV time is sacred and you're the devil
himself to request they lower the volume.  You know they watch TV every
dam day after school, but that one day out of roughly 160 school days in
the year when the piano tuner comes and they have to turn it down or off
is just torture, agony, cruel and unusual punishment.  God forbid they
deal with reality and do something creative rather than submit their
entire consciousness, wits, and body to that electronic opiate.
Sometimes they turn it up even louder to hear their cartoons over my
incessant unison-pounding.  One mom, apparently dependent on that tube
to babysit while she cooked, was almost incensed that I asked her to
turn the TV down.  "Well I can hear the piano fine, and I'm way back
here in the kitchen!"  Oh gawd, now I have to explain about partials and
beats and ... ).  But they're the minority.  Most people are considerate
and around Christmas I've even gotten hams, turkeys, entire cans of
cookies, etc.   --Dave N. dnereson@dim.com